News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: High RBC

Abbeyjean - Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:05 pm

Dear Doctor,
I have a test result that I wonder if you could give me some clarity on. My questions are in regards to the Hematology section of the report. Only one result came out abnormal. Here are the specifics:
WBC 5.8 (4.0-10.0)
RBC 4.85 high (3.80-4.80)
Hemoglobin 140 (120-150)
Hematocrit 0.41 (0.35-0.43)
MCV 84 (82-98)
MCH 28.9 (27.5-33.5)
MCHC 343 (320-360)
RDW 13.1 (11.5-14.5)
Neutrophils 3.1 (2.0-7.5)
Lymphocytes 2.1 (1.0-3.0)
Monocytes .3 (0.1-1.0)
Eosinophils 0.2 (0.0-0.5)
Basophils 0.0 (0.0-0.2)
Platelet Count 263 (150-400)

I've never registered high in RBC before but my blood platelet count was registering abnormally high over a year period about three years ago. I kept having to be retested as it went as high as 423 then it gradually came down into the 300 range and now it is 273. I am a 48 year old female and in pretty good health otherwise. When I asked my doctor what this slight elevation in RBC meant she said she didn't know and didn't offer any suggestions. Could you?
Sincerely,
Pandora
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:37 am

User avatar Hi Abbeyjean,
I am not the doctor but I will attempt to answer your question. RBC levels may be elevated due to smoking, high altitudes, carbon monoxide exposure, kidney, heart disease, bone marrow dysfunction, etc., etc. In my opinion since your RBC level is only slightly elevated and all of your other lab values are with in normal limits, I would rate little significance to this level. Indications of disease states or dysfunction more often exhibit more than one abnormality.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here