News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: LOW WBC, LOW FERRITIN... THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP

KIJONAMA - Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:21 am

MY WBC OVER A FEW MONTHS HAS BEEN FROM 4.2 TO 3.5 TO 2.9 THEN 4.2 AGAIN , AND MY FERRITIN LEVEL IS 10... YES I AM TIRED, MY H/H IS NOW WML HOWEVER IS WAS 10 AND 34. RDW IS 19.5 AND MCV IS 81
RBC IS 4.62 AND MONOCYTES ARE AROUND 10.... HERE ARE THE NORMS FOR THAT LAB....
WBC 4.11-5.13
FERRITIN 13-200
RDW 12-13.8
ANY INDICATIONS OF WHAT THIS MAY MEAN? OR IS THIS OK....THANKS SO MUCH
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:03 pm

User avatar Dear KIJONAMA,

The serum ferritin test is ordered to see how much iron your body has stored for future use. Reduced serum ferritin concentration is the most useful test for diagnosis of iron deficiency. As the body iron stores decrease so does the serum ferritin. A serum ferritin concentration below 12 ug/L is virtually diagnostic of absent iron stores.

Your RDW (Red cell distribution width) is elevated. The RDW is an index of the variation in cell volume within the red cell population. Red cell populations with higher than normal RDW are termed heterogenous; those with normal RDW are homogeneous. Increased numbers of reticulocytes will cause an increased RDW. In some instances, the RDW is the first test result to increase with changes in red cell population sizes. For example, in early iron deficiency, there are only low numbers of microcytic red blood cells.

Regarding the decrease WBCs: first it doesnt seem persistent; second you need to describe in more detail the differential counts and the morphology. There are many causes of leukopenia which include side effects from medication, bone marrow diseases.

Consult a hematologist as you may need to perform a panel of other tests which may show where the abnormality is.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here