Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Blood test concerns

doctorplease - Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:30 pm

Dear Doctors,

I recently had a blood test under charity care. The clinic where I had the blood test is a reputable clinic. I am going through some trust issues due to mental stress. I asked my mother to come along to the clinic with me for support and to see if she could make sure things looked sterile or if there was some malicious intent etc. After the test I asked my mother question about the nurses procedure, she did not answer me with confidence to ensure me it went smoothly. I love my mother very much so please do not think I am bashing her. I am now concerned since I know that I wasn’t looking (due to stress) to see what the nurse was doing. I now have a few concerning questions. If I was stuck with an infected needle. How would I know? Would the infection or disease show up in the blood test? Would I need to take another blood test to see or would it show up in this one? Would the needle mark on my skin show signs?

Hopefully I will get the results by the end of the week.

Thank you. Worried.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:36 pm

User avatar Dear doctorplease,

Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), hepatitis B virus (HBV), and hepatitis C virus (HCV) are the pathogens of concern to be transmitted by blood and by the use of non sterile medical equipments.
This is more common to happen among injection drug users (IDUs), when many share their equipment like syringe to inject their drugs.

In clinics, hospitals and medical care centers disposal syringe are used to take blood samples and to inject drugs.

Other types of infections that can be introduced by the syringe from the skin are usually controllable by simple cleaning of the skin with antiseptics and the body immune system react to them immediately.

I do not see any reason for your worry and I would not recommend you to do any blood tests to check for any of these infections under these circumstances.

Keep us updated,

|