Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Blood Clot??

tifa - Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:08 pm

I've been having leg pain for about a week now. My legs appears swollen to me though my doc says he does not see it. I measure it at half a cm to 1 cm more than the other calf. Not sure if it could have been always like that or not. He sent me for an ultrasound last night. It came back normal. She had a hard time imaging my veins though. How accurate is this test? Should I have a repeat study and if so, how soon? The d-dimer was also normal. Could it be in my pelvic veins? My leg hurts a lot especially in the calf but also in the though and even my hip a litlte. When I am just sitting here it even feels like something is pulling in my calf and it feels tingling.

What should I do? Chalk it up to some unknown injury or go back in for more tests???
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:25 am

User avatar Dear tifa,

Symptoms of DVT include painful limb swelling and discoloration in the affected limb.

Signs of DVT include Homans sign (pain on passive dorsiflexion of the foot), unilateral edema, and tenderness. It is important to know that these symptoms and signs can exist in other medical conditions like skeletal problems and cellulitis .

Diagnosis is done using different imaging techniques and blood tests.
An Ultrasound (US), Duplex Doppler compression are the commonlyscan of the legs is the standard imaging technique requested in such Case, as it is highly accurate, non-invasive.However,it is less accurate in detecting DVT in the pelvis or the small vessels of the calf, in obese people or if there is marked edema.

"D-dimer" is the blood test, used to detect recent clotting. A positive test can be seen in many conditions including DVT and pregnancy. On the other hand, a negative one, makes the diagnosis of DVT very unlikely.

Combination of these measures is usually requested and very effective in the diagnosis of DVT.

With these highly effective measures, the diagnosis of DVT is sometimes very difficult and more complicated techniques is required.

A venogram or phlebogram, in which dye is injected into a vein in the foot and an x-ray is taken. It is the most effective technique in the Diagnosis of DVT.

In addition to ultrasound, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and CAT scanning are used to detect a DVT including pelvic DVT.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor and to discuss with him the above information.
Keep us updated.

|