Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: bloodwork help please

jo - Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:03 pm

I had some bloodwork done recently, there were bno flags in one few months ago and all seemed to be good with none at higher ends of scope . DOctor mentioned looking for cancer since we have cnacers in family. Female 45, lost 6 pounds in last 2 weeks, more nodes, CBC done .
WBC 9.90
RBC 4.91
HGB 15.8
MCH 31.7
HCT45.2
MCV 92.2
MCHC 34.4
Plt 297
MPV 9.2
NE% 70.4% (flagged)
Lymph 20% Flagged
Mono .o6
Baso0.5
EOS%3.7 flagged

My pulomnary is doing chest xray this month since so tired, can barley get out of bed at times .

Woke up last week with 3 larger sized bruises from nowhere, my platelets look fine so what could this be. Fevers, nodes,sweat,bruising.

thankyou for your time I hope this goes through, everytime I read the rules I think I have it right but am never sure :) but at least I try.

Jo
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:04 am

User avatar Hi jo,
Wbc's typically elevate during episodes of infection and inflammatory conditions as well with certain malignancies. Beginning with the more obvious conditions first, have you had any recent infections? Do you have asthma or allergies? Were there any abnormalities of the elevated cells? Where are the enlarged lymph nodes located? How large are they and how do they feel (consistency)?
 jo - Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:31 am

tankyou so much for wirting me back. I don't understand bloodwork enough to know what would seem unusual or what I would need to write you (sorry not something I totally undestand) so I just wrote what they had put down on CBC with/Auto Diff (does that help?)
NO infections at all or allergies either, what lead me to doctor was fatigue and some sweating and one node on shoulder/neck whihc now acutally feels like a mass but is and moveable. I have one actaully on top of the collar whihch is hard and small then one in chestwall right below inner part of collarbone its moveable too, then one right next to it (smaller) and just like it. one in low groin area almost inner thigh just in last week, 2 small under armpit. One large one in pelvic area, and one right next to throat(that one bothers me as it feels like its pressing against throat.

Largest ones are on neck/shoulder area and the one in the chestwall about size of a nickle and the one in lower pelvis about size of a walnut it acutally sticks out on that side one in throat area is now almost size of nickle that one seems to have just come out of nowhere in last week so its concerning to me.

my temp is running in 96's to 97s during day and late afternoon evening in the 99.4 up to 99.9, my doctor has been having me take my temperature to see some pattern of sort, I don't know exactaly why. I have no energy and am falling asleep at times doing my work even though I sleep well I have been waking latley feeeing so hot its just aweful, but my hormones she said are fine.

Thankyou again, sorry it was long but this is all so recent of the weight loss and the brusing concerned both myself and husband as I had no falls or bumps on anyuthing.

don't think this will help but in July I had premelanoma removed from stomache (very atypical) had outpatinet surgery to remove all margins and was told was clear margins and not to worry.

PEace to you
Jol
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:54 am

User avatar Hi jo,
Night sweats, fever, fatigue, enlarged lymph nodes (which continue enlarging) in the areas you describe, including weight loss, especially in the absence of any sign or symptom of recent infection is very concerning. If your physician has not yet mentioned obtaining a CT Scan, I would strongly suggest you inquire about this diagnostic study being completed. I would appreciate it if you would post a follow up when your time permits.
 jo - Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:49 pm

Dear Nurse thankyou so much for taking your taime to write me, just Wanted you to know I had some more BLoodwork done yesterday so should get those results next week. I HAVe a second Brain anyerusm whihc I will be havving CTA done on next month, my BRAin illnesss;s even outside the anuerusm are extensive so havingg these newer unrelated problmes are diffficutl at the least, but Im tryring to remain posotive.

thanksgagain, will hopefuly write after I Get TEsts back.
Jo :)
 jo - Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:58 pm

Well Hello again, I got my 2 week blodwork back (since last bloowork was done), well now Im TOTALLY confused :? .

Almost evyerthing has gone down to near or at low end of last results. My WBC droppped from 9900 to 5000 and Absolute Neutrophils from 6900 down to 3000, Those are the oness I watned to see the most. so Why Im SO confused is now the Lump under armpit (have 2) but one has grown in those 2 weeks period from bb size to kidney bean size and ones on chestwall aboce collarbone have enlarged.

Im still havving fevers and am at 95.6 pounds now dwon from orignal 101 last month. I was SO tired 2 days ago that I Fell down our stairs 2 times on my cane (cane is FROm permannat damamge to Brain and Cord since 97), messsed my hip up and arms but Im ok :) Im aPretty Tough GAL,ha,ha,ha,ha.

Sicnee my husband pickeed up report for mee I wanted to waitt and ask you if you honeslt y think I should pursue this, I HAte to waste my DCOtors valuable time or mine.
I DO havee my Chest Xray NExt weeek.

THAnkyou SO much for your Time in REadding this your VEry helpfyul to me.

sIcnely Jo
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:31 am

User avatar Hi jo,
In my opinion I do think this should be pursued.
 jo - Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:26 pm

Dear Nurse jsut wanteted to get back to you, sincee we last spoke on heree I became Very illl one weeek ago, Im lossing weight down to 94 pouinds at Pulmonary doctors Thrusday, chest Xray loooed ok at least, severe abdominal cramping last weeekned, SO Doctor had me have Ct Scans of Abdomen and Pelvis Freiday, weree still tryring to figure out what is wrong with my body but at least were doingg some Scans, hopefuly will know more this weeek.

jsut wnated to update you sincee youve been such a great help to me, the wEgiht loss has my DOctors (espically the pulmonary Doctor) VEry concnered Im eating but its just c oming off me and its scary to say the least, CAn Barlyy make it up the stairs with cane, so tired with Dark circles under eyes, ALso they HAd me do a slew of Stool Samples.

thankss gain, will let you know more whene I know more.
Jo :)

|