News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Low Red Blood Count

MandaB1122 - Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:35 pm

Hello. A few weeks ago i had a UTI that i treated with a seven day antibiotic. The next week i went for routine blood work and my doc just called me and said my red blood cell count was slightly low-it was 11. the norm is 11.7 to 15. He also said that my sed rate was alittle high. Would this be caused from my Bladder infection?? On friday im going for an ultrasound of my pelvis. I have been feeling good. Thanks for any info. Im a 25 yr old female.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:08 am

User avatar Hi MandaB1122,
I would not relate this to your uti/bladder infection unless there was bleeding involved. Very mild abnormalities may be present under normal conditions. Elevations in ESR ( Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate) levels usually indicate inflammatory conditions. You stated you are going to have a pelvic ultrasound......the reason is? Are you having problems other than the uti?
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 MandaB1122 - Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:00 am

Well at the time of my checkup i was just getting over the infection so i felt alittle pain still. My doc is very thorough so he said for me to have an ultrasound of my pelvis. I am not feeling anymore symptoms but i figured i would still go just to make sure. Wouldnt the inflammation be in my bladder during the infection? Thanks for the reply

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here