News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: Anti-Ana, Anti DNA, Anti-SMA ?

Truffles - Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:22 pm

Hi
I hope I spelled those *anti's* right. I tested positive for this. It is associated with Lupus and or Sjorns. (sp?) I had a complicated pregnancy as my antibodies or immune system were attacking my sons heart. Do I actually have Lupus? I don't get it. One doc says I have to blood work to prove I do. Another says I can have that bloodwork and not have Lupus or Sjorns? I really don't understand and have been getting no where. Regardless if I do have either of those or not, what are possible complications in general with having these *anti's* ?
I must have an autoimmune disease? So Ive been told. What does it or could it affect?
I have posted under Gastroenterology about another problem. I wonder if theyre linked?
I also have about 3 rock hard lymph nodes in my neckside. They never go away. (2 years now) They are marble sized. I tend to get bronchitis, ear infections and throat infections. Last year 3-4 infections requiring antibiotics. Is this Lupus or the above Anti's related? If so, can I assume that my Antis or Lupus is acting up?
Thank you so much
Kind Regards and God Bless
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:29 pm

User avatar Dear Truffles,

The diagnosis of SLE is based on both characteristic clinical features and autoantibodies. Criteria for diagnosis that a disease is SLE is based on the combination of different clinical feature with laboratory investigations. A combination of 4 or more of 11 criteria, will document the disease.

Clinically the disease affects many systems in the body like: Musculoskeleta (arthritis),Cutaneous (dermatitis), Renal (nephritis), Pulmonary (pleuritis), Vascular occlusions, etc

Worth noting that other disease criteria tends to be evident with time.

Antinuclear antibodies (ANA) are positive in >95% of patients during the disease activity. It is important to repeat the test as repeated negative tests makes the diagnosis of SLE unlikely.
In the presence of SLE corresponding clinical features, high antibodies to double-stranded DNA and antibodies to the Sm antigen support the diagnosis of SLE being more specific to this disease.

To the contrary, the presence of multiple auto antibodies without clinical symptoms do not confirm the diagnosis of SLE although
these individuals are at increased risk.

SLE patients have fertility problems and high probability of fetal loss. In such patients, with prior fetal losses, treatment with heparin is recommended to achieve live births.

I advise you to follow up with your Doctor and to discuss with him the above information.
Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here