Health Tip: Is Knee Replacement Safe?Last Updated: August 24, 2010.
(HealthDay News) -- Knee replacement surgery may be a solution for disabling arthritis, pain caused by other medical problems, or a tumor affecting the knee.
But if you've got certain risk factors, your doctor may advise against the surgery, the U.S. National Library of Medicine says. Here are some examples:
- Having an infection affecting the knee.
- Being morbidly obese.
- Having very weak muscles at the front of the thigh, making it difficult to walk.
- Being severely mentally impaired.
- Having insufficient blood flow to the leg, which could prevent proper healing.
- Having terminal cancer that continues to spread.