(HealthDay News) -- Viral gastroenteritis, often referred to as "stomach flu," is a common infection that may trigger vomiting and diarrhea.
The ADAM Encyclopedia suggests ways to help you feel comfortable and recover from viral gastroenteritis:
- To replace lost fluids and electrolytes, adults and older children should consume sports drinks such as Gatorade.
- Young children may drink fluid-replacement products made for children.
- Avoid fruit juices, sodas, Jell-O or other products laden with sugar, which can worsen diarrhea.
- Don't gulp down too much fluid at once. Instead sip 2 oz. to 4 oz. every 30 minutes to 60 minutes.
- Babies should continue to have breast milk or formula, and adults should try to eat small amounts of bland foods.
- Don't take an anti-diarrhea medication unless your doctor recommends one.
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
|Previous: Health Tip: Stay Safe During Spring Cleaning||Next: Health Highlights: March 7, 2011|
Reader comments on this article are listed below. Review our comments policy.
Submit your opinion:
Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?
Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community