Create Account | Sign In: Author or Forum

 
News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Opinion  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter    
 
Category: Family Medicine | Pulmonology | Asthma | Allergy | Preventive Medicine | News

Back to Health News

Flood Cleanup Requires Extra Care for Those With Allergies

Last Updated: May 05, 2011.

 

Experts suggest steps to stem the growth of mold

Share |

Comments: (0)

Tell-a-Friend

 

  Related
 
Experts suggest steps to stem the growth of mold.

THURSDAY, May 5 (HealthDay News) -- People with allergies and asthma need to take extra precautions if their home is flooded, experts advise.

Failure to remove contaminated materials and to reduce moisture and humidity in a home that's been flooded can lead to long-term health risks, according to the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology.

For example, standing water and wet materials quickly lead to the growth of mold, a common allergen. Symptoms of mold allergy include sneezing, itching, congestion, nasal discharge, coughing and wheezing.

"One of the biggest issues homeowners face is what to do about flooded carpeting," Dr. James L. Sublett, who chairs the group's indoor environments committee, said in a news release from the organization.

"The pads cannot be dried out and should be thrown away," Sublett said. "Carpets should be pulled up and thoroughly dried within the first 24 hours. In addition, wallboard damage will be hidden and, if it has become wet, it should be replaced to above the water line."

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency urges anyone cleaning a home after a flood to wear an N-95 respirator mask, goggles, gloves, long pants, a long-sleeved shirt and boots or work shoes.

Then, discard any items that got wet but cannot be cleaned.

The agency also emphasizes that portable generators should be placed outside and far away from the home to protect people from breathing in carbon dioxide and other harmful substances in the generator's exhaust fumes.

More information

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has more about mold, moisture in the home.

SOURCE: American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, news release, April 27, 2011

Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.


Previous: Parents' Limited English May Prolong Child's Hospital Stay Next: Blood Pressure May Hint at Kidney Cancer Outcome

Reader comments on this article are listed below. Review our comments policy.


Submit your opinion:

Name:

Email:

Location:

URL:

Remember my personal information

Notify me of follow-up comments?

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)
 

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

 
     

 advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

 

 

Useful Sites
MediLexicon
  Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us
Copyright © 2001-2014
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME | Conferences

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.