Health Tip: Pain Relievers Aren’t for EveryoneLast Updated: July 19, 2011.
(HealthDay News) -- Over-the-counter pain relievers can be a quick and easy option to manage pain, but they may not safe for everyone.
The American Academy of Family Physicians says you should speak with a doctor before you take painkillers including acetaminophen, aspirin or ibuprofen if:
- You have a known allergy to a pain reliever.
- You drink three or more alcoholic beverages each day.
- You have ulcers or bleeding in the intestines or stomach.
- You have kidney, liver or heart disease.
- You have a bleeding disorder or take a medication to thin the blood.