Health Tip: When Gardening Triggers Back PainLast Updated: May 08, 2012.
(HealthDay News) -- Gardening is a great form of exercise, but it can also leave you with a painful backache.
The American Council on Exercise suggests how to garden without hurting yourself:
- Use correct posture and form.
- Warm up before you garden with a 10-minute walk.
- Make sure all of your movements are smooth and steady.
- Keep your abdominal muscles taut.
- Lift with your legs (never your back).
- Don't twist your back while digging.
- Breathe regularly. Exhale when you lift, and inhale as you lower a heavy load.
|Previous: Aim Skin Cancer Warnings at the Young, Too, Experts Say||Next: Health Tip: What's Causing My Muscle Cramps?|
Reader comments on this article are listed below. Review our comments policy.