Health Tip: Avoid Fighting With the Kids Over FoodLast Updated: June 04, 2012.
(HealthDay News) -- You shouldn't try to force children to eat healthy, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics says. Pressure won't work.
But the academy says there are things you can do to help achieve the same goal. Here are its suggestions:
- Adhere to structured, scheduled family meals and snacks with your child where you sit down together to eat.
- Be a good role model by eating healthy foods and practicing healthy eating habits.
- Eat plenty of vegetables, serve them in different ways and tell your child how much you enjoy them.
- Turn off the TV and put away cell phones while you eat.
- Set clear expectations for manners and behaviors at the table, but be realistic about what children can manage.