(HealthDay News) -- Bed bugs can hide in furniture, luggage and clothing, causing itchy, painful bites.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency suggests how to help prevent bed bug infestations:
- Carefully inspect any secondhand couches, beds and other furniture for signs of bed bugs.
- Protect any mattress and box spring with a cover. Make sure it is of good quality and light in color, Remember to inspect it frequently for tears and bed bugs.
- Cut down on clutter throughout your home to provide fewer areas for bed bugs to hide.
- If staying in a hotel, keep luggage up on racks, not on the floor.
- Inspect hotel mattresses and headboards carefully.
- When you return from a trip, put clothing directly into the washing machine. Carefully check luggage for bed bugs.
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
|Previous: Health Tip: Offering Baby or Toddler Solid Food?||Next: Health Highlights: Aug. 10, 2012|
Reader comments on this article are listed below. Review our comments policy.
Submit your opinion:
Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?
Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community