(HealthDay News) -- Touching or even getting close to a poison ivy plant can result in an itchy, uncomfortable rash anywhere from head to toe.
The Nemours Foundation offers these suggestions to help protect children from a poison ivy rash:
- Teach kids to recognize poison ivy plants, and to stay away from them.
- Don't allow children to play in areas where you know poison ivy lives.
- Accounting for the hottest summer days, dress children in long-sleeved shirts and long pants before they go into areas where the poisonous plants might grow.
- If your dog has played in the woods or leafy areas outdoors, bathe it to help ensure there's no urushiol -- the chemical that causes the poison ivy rash -- on its coat.
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
|Previous: FDA Approves New Once-a-Day HIV Pill||Next: Health Tip: Coping With Early-Onset Alzheimer's|
Reader comments on this article are listed below. Review our comments policy.
Submit your opinion:
Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?
Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community