Here are some of the latest health and medical news developments, compiled by the editors of HealthDay:
1st Death Reported From New Swine Flu Strain
A 61-year-old Ohio woman is the first person to die from a new swine flu strain, state health officials said Friday.
According to the Ohio Department of Health, the woman had other medical problems, but the newly identified H3N2v influenza strain may have contributed to her death, the Associated Press reported.
The woman, who was not identified but lived in Madison County, had become ill after contact with hogs at the Ross County Fair, the AP said.
According to federal health authorities, 288 cases of H3N2v flu in humans have been identified in the United States so far.
Up to 900,000 Mangoes Recalled
As many as 900,000 potentially salmonella-tainted mangoes from Mexico have been recalled in the United States as officials investigate 105 salmonella-related illnesses in 16 states that may be linked to the tropical fruit.
The recall covers Daniella-brand mangoes marked with a small sticker with one of the following codes: 4051, 4959, 4311, 4584 or 3114, USA Today reported.
The mangoes were sold at a number of supermarkets including Costco, Save Mart Supermarkets, Food 4 Less, Ralph's, Topco stores, El Super, Kroger, Giant-Eagle, Stop & Shop, Aldi and Whole Foods, according to Splendid Products spokesman Ernest DelBuono.
People who bought the recalled mangoes should not eat them and should throw them away.
Last week, an importer in Canada recalled Daniella-brand mangoes after 22 illnesses in that country, USA Today reported.
Hantavirus Found in Two More Yosemite Visitors
Two more people who visited Yosemite Park have been found to be infected with the mouse-borne hantavirus. That brings the total number of infections to six. Two of those people have died.
Five of the six infected people stayed in tent cabins at Curry Village in Yosemite Valley. The sixth infected person may have stayed in another area of the park, California Department of Public Health spokeswoman Anita Gore told the Associated Press.
The investigation into the outbreak is continuing.
Hantavirus is carried in the feces, urine and saliva of deer mice and other rodents. The illness, which can take six weeks to incubate, begins as flu-like symptoms but can quickly affect the lungs, the AP reported.
Ohio Hospital's Kidney Transplant Error Under Review
A living-donor kidney transplant program at the University of Toledo Medical Center in Ohio has been temporarily suspended after a donated kidney ended up in medical waste instead of being transplanted into the intended recipient.
After the Aug. 10 error, hospital officials apologized and put two nurses and an administrator of surgical services on paid leave. The hospital also sent letters to 975 patients and potential organ donors telling them they may need to make other arrangements for services typically provided through the program, the Associated Press reported.
The error is being investigated by state health officials on behalf of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, and UTMC hired a Texas transplant surgeon to evaluate its transplant procedures. The review of the transplant program is expected to take several weeks.
The hospital has not released any details about the incident, the AP reported.
In a statement, UTMC's vice president for health affairs, Dr. Jeffrey Gold, said the hospital is "committed to ensuring safeguards are put in place to prevent such an incident from ever happening again."
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
|Previous: Kidney Stones May Be Tied to Later Kidney Problems||Next: Turning Off the Tube Linked to Healthier Weight in Teens|
Reader comments on this article are listed below. Review our comments policy.
Submit your opinion:
Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?
Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community