Health Tip: What’s a Heart-Healthy Diet?Last Updated: September 13, 2012.
(HealthDay News) -- A heart-healthy diet focuses on plenty of healthy, high-fiber foods while avoiding foods that are high in fat, salt, sugar and cholesterol.
The womenshealth.gov website offers these specifics:
- Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables and whole-grain foods.
- Eat fat-free or low-fat cheese, milk and yogurt.
- Choose lean proteins, such as eggs, nuts, dried beans, lean meats and poultry without skin.
- Choose healthier unsaturated fats, such as those found in nuts, fish and vegetable oils.
- Avoid saturated and trans fats, found in fried and processed foods, fatty meats and baked goods.
- Limit foods high in cholesterol, sodium and sugar.