Health Tip: Keep Your Kidneys HealthyLast Updated: November 05, 2012.
(HealthDay News) -- A healthy lifestyle can help protect your kidneys and keep them strong.
The National Kidney Disease Education Program offers these suggestions:
- Keep blood pressure and cholesterol within normal ranges.
- Make sure diabetes is well-controlled.
- Take medications exactly as directed by your doctor.
- Reduce sodium intake to less than 1,500 milligrams per day.
- Eat a heart-healthy diet rich in fruits, vegetables, low-fat dairy and whole grains
- Restrict alcohol consumption and don't smoke.
- Lose any excess weight and get plenty of regular exercise.
|Previous: Health Tip: Exercise Isn't Always Expensive||Next: Controversial Alternative Heart Treatment Shows Hint of Benefit|
Reader comments on this article are listed below. Review our comments policy.