Health Tip: Eat Enough LegumesLast Updated: November 09, 2012.
(HealthDay News) -- Beans, peas and lentils are examples of legumes -- nourishing foods that pack a lot of energy.
The University of Michigan Health System says the benefits of legumes include:
- They're low-fat foods and are an excellent source of antioxidants.
- They're protein-rich and a good source of fiber.
- They contain essential nutrients, such as folate, calcium, zinc, iron and selenium.
- They have a low glycemic index.
- They're affordable and don't require a lot of effort to prepare.