Pregnancy Category B
Mechanism of action
Bactericidal: inhibits synthesis of bacterial cell wall, causing cell death.
- UTIs caused by E. coli, P. mirabilis, Klebsiella
- Pharyngitis, tonsillitis caused by group A ?hemolytic streptococci
- Dermatologic infections caused by staphylococci, streptococci
- Allergy to cephalosporins or penicillins
- Renal failure
- CNS: Headache, dizziness, lethargy, paresthesias
- GI: Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, abdominal pain, flatulence, pseudomembranous colitis, liver toxicity
- Hematologic: Bone marrow depression
- GU: Nephrotoxicity
- Hypersensitivity: Ranging from rash, fever to anaphylaxis; serum sickness reaction
- Other: Superinfections
Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?
Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community
Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.
Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.