Back to Infections Drug Index
Ceftin, cefuroxime sodium
Pregnancy Category B
Cephalosporin (second generation)
Mechanism of action
Bactericidal: inhibits synthesis of bacterial cell wall, causing
Oral (Cefuroxime Axetil)
- Pharyngitis, tonsilitis caused by S. pyogenes
- Otitis media caused by S. pneumoniae, H. influenzae, M.
catarrhalis, S. pyogenes
- Lower respiratory tract infections caused by S. pneumoniae, H.
parainfluenxae, H. influenzae
- UTIs caused by E. coli, K. pneumoniae
- Dermatologic infections, including impetigo caused by S. aureus,
Parenteral (Cefuroxime Sodium)
- Lower respiratory tract infections caused by S. pneumoniae, S.
aureus, E. coli, Klebsiella, H. influenzae, S. pyogenes
- Dermatologic infections caused by S. aureus, S. pyogenes, E.
coli, Klebsiella, Enterobacter
- UTIs caused by E. coli, Klebsiella
- Uncomplicated and disseminated gonorrhea caused by N. gonorrhoea
- Septicemia caused by S. pneumoniae, S. aureus, E. coli,
Klebsiella, H. influenzae
- Meningitis caused by S. pneumoniae, H. influenzae, S. aureus, N.
- Bone and joint infections caused by S. aureus
- Perioperative prophylaxis
- Allergy to cephalosporins or penicillins
- Renal failure
Are you a doctor or a nurse?
Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?
Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and
give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.
Click on the link below to see the requirements:
Doctors Lounge Membership
- CNS: Headache, dizziness,
- GI: Nausea, vomiting,
diarrhea, anorexia, abdominal pain, flatulence, pseudomembranous
colitis, liver toxicity
- Hematologic: Bone marrow
depression: decreased WBC, decreased platelets, decreased Hct
- GU: Nephrotoxicity
- Hypersensitivity: Ranging
from rash to fever to anaphylaxis, serum sickness reaction
- Local: Pain, abscess at
injection site; phlebitis, inflammation at IV site
- Other: Superinfections,
disulfiram-like reaction with alcohol