Back to Infections Drug Index
Pregnancy Category C
Mechanism of action
Inhibits protein synthesis in susceptible bacteria, causing cell
- Treatment of upper respiratory infections caused by S. pyogenes,
- Treatment of lower respiratory infections caused by Mycoplasma
pneumoniae, S. pneumoniae, H. influenzae, M. catarrhalis
- Treatment of skin and structure infections caused by S. aureus,
- Contraindicated in the presences of hypersensitivity to
clarithromycin, erythromycin, or any macrolide antibiotic.
Use caution in the presence of colitis, hepatic or renal
impairment, pregnancy, lactation.
Are you a doctor or a nurse?
Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?
Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and
give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.
Click on the link below to see the requirements:
Doctors Lounge Membership
- CNS: Dizziness, headache,
vertigo, somnolence, fatigue
- GI: Diarrhea, abdominal
pain, nausea, dyspepsia, flatulence, vomiting, melena,
- Other: Superinfections