Back to Infections Drug Index
Acyclovir - Zovirax
Pregnancy Category C
Mechanism of action
Antiviral activity; inhibits viral DNA replication.
- Initial and recurrent mucosal and cutaneous herpes simplex virus (HSV)
1 and 2 infections in immunocompromised patients
- Severe initial and recurrent genital herpes infections in selected
- Ointment: initial HSV genital infections; limited mucocutaneous HSV
infections in immunocompromised patients
- Unlabeled uses: treatment of herpes zoster, cytomegalovirus and HSV
infection following transplant, herpes simplex infections, infectious
mononucleosis, varicella pneumonia, varicella zoster in immunocompromised
- Allergy to acyclovir
- Renal disease
Are you a doctor or a nurse?
Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?
Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and
give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.
Click on the link below to see the requirements:
Doctors Lounge Membership
- CNS: Headache, vertigo, depression,
tremors, encephalopathic changes
- GI: Nausea, vomiting,
- GU: Crystalluria with rapid IV
- Dermatologic: Inflammation or
phlebitis at injection sites, rash, hair
- Dermatologic: Transient burning
at site of application