Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Please Help! No reply for months, I cant take it any more

Surfio - Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:30 am

Please help, I have posted this a lot, with no reply. its really affecting me. What I have is similar to herpes, I haven't had sex yet and i have even got myself tested for herpes. It came back negative. I am thinking its bacterial or fungal, I must have got it from a toilet, I know it sounds stupid but I am pretty sure of it. The ulcers surface just under the head, and in a line down the urethra line, but stops halfway where I got circumcized. They heal up, when I haven't touched it or washed it, but the marks are still there and reopen sometimes, I just don't get it! It is really affecting my life and I feel so useless; it s depressing. Is my pee creating the ulcers? is there a natural remedy? I don't want to go back and have to do it again and again. Please help.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:34 pm

Genital ulceration may be due to infective or non-infective causes. Infective causes are sexually transmitted and include syphilis, chancroid, genital herpes, LGV and granuloma inguinale. The last two conditions are more commonly seen in the tropics and subtropics.

As you have had no sexual exposure, it must be assumed that your recurrent genital ulceration is due to non-infective causes. However, a repeat test for HSV 1 and 2 at the next outbreak is advisable.

Trauma, Behcet's disease, Stevens-Johnson syndrome and carcinoma are non-infective causes of genital ulceration. In your case, carcinoma is excluded because the ulcers are not persistent, not growing larger and tend to heal on their own but recur intermittently at the same site.

Traumatic genital ulcers may be caused by vigorous manipulation of the penile organ, such as in prolonged and repetitive acts of masturbation, which is not admitted. A common site is the frenulum of the penis, which is the site you are attempting to describe. Behcet's disease is usually accompanied by mouth ulcers. Stevens-Johnson syndrome is a hypersensitivity of acute onset, frequently caused by infection or certain drugs and may occasionally cause genital ulcers, mouth ulcers and a conjunctivitis.

At the next outbreak of these ulcers, please get examined by a genitourinary physician for diagnosis and reassurance.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 Surfio - Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:29 pm

Thanks for the reply. i was wondering, what would be the process, if i was getting it checked again, Because i wouldnt want to take chances and go again and again to the clinic. what would be the best choice in getting it tested?
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:03 pm

A first step in the right direction would be to register with a genitourinary clinic and to have the lesions retested for HSV 1 and 2 at onset of the next outbreak of ulcers.

Dr Anthony Solomon

|