Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Reactivated Brown Recluse Bite

shiva - Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:46 am

12 years ago I got bitten by a brown recluse spider on my lower left leg/calf. The first Dr. didn't treat it properly and I had to go to another Dr. for wound debridement. He informed me that I may need a skin graft if the wound doesn't heal. With careful wound care I lucked out and the wound healed in 18 months. No skin graft was needed, but I have scar tissue. In August.... I had an allergic reaction to Soma at the bite location. 2 weeks later the wound reactivated with the tissue/skin necrosis. All the dead tissue peeled away and I have a dollar size wound that is trying to heal. Healing has gone so far and then stopped. I've been to the Dr. for 4 months who gave me prophylatic Keflex. He sent to me a vascular surgeon. This Dr. insists that it is a varicose ulcer and is treating it as such. He won't listen to me. I told him I was allergic to Sulfa and he gave me Dyazide. You can't take Dyazide if you are allergic to Sulfa!! I don't have high blood pressure either. It is usually low.
My question is who do I see about this. It is very, very painful and I believe that I may need a skin graft this time around. I don't want to wait another 3-4 months with this wound and then find out that it is being improperly treated. None of the Drs. here(ND) are familar with insect bites. Thank you very much for your time and assistance!!
 shiva - Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:23 pm

Went to a new walk in clinic 5 days after the specialist put on the compression bandage. The new Dr. said the bandage was on too tight and culture showed Staph Aureus. I was given a new antibiotic and told that it is NOT a varicose ulcer. It is a new wound over an existing healed wound. It will take months to heal. I am seeing a primary Dr. for observation of the wound. The last two weeks it has showed much progress in healing. I am off the antibiotics, but continue to take pain meds.

|