News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Can it be from me?

me2005 - Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:36 pm

Hi, I just learned today that my boyfriend that lives far away found out 3 months ago has molluscum contagiosum. I have not seen him since (from his diagnosis 3 months ago) 5 months before that. He has not had sexual contact with anyone since either. I however do not show (and haven't) any symptoms of molluscum contagiosum but his doctor still believes it came from me because it is located it on his penis and he hasn't had sexual contact with anyone else. Can this be possible when I don't show symptoms and it has been so long? or is it more probable he caught it from something such as a towel? Is there anyway I could have the virus and spread it without having lesions? Thanks.
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:54 pm

User avatar A person can contract molluscum contagiosum primarily by direct contact, either person-to-person or by shared items, such as clothing, towels, and washcloths. MC can be spread by touching the rash and then another part of the body. Although the likelihood of infection is generally low, it is unknown how long a person is contagious.

Sexually: It is likely that genital lesions are sexually transmitted. Lesions develop within 2-3 months after exposure. Not all genital lesions in adults are sexually transmitted, however.

If you have never had any lesions, then you don't have molluscum contagiosum.
It is more likely your boyfriend has had sexual contact with someone else, and is withholding the information, touched someone else with it, then touched his penis, or used clothing worn by someone who has the infection.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here