News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: can low body temp be a fever???

tashamonster - Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:41 am

Hi,
For the last few days (since about December 28 or so) I have been feeling pretty "off". My urine has been a bit cloudy, "ive had a horrible headache, my tummy seems to be a bit upset, I have had horrible sinus pressure throughout my face, and a sutffy nose.
Saturday, New years eve, I felt even worse so I took my temparture. I am normally about 98.6 or .5 but it was 96.5. I kept checking it for the past few days and it continues to be about 96.7 or 97.1.
Any thoughts?
I'm thinking it is just a cold but I've never been this low in body temp before....
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:58 am

User avatar Hi tashamonster,
The typical definition of a fever is a body temperature greater than 98.6 degrees F or 37 degrees C. A low body temperature would not be considered a fever. The other symptoms you describe headache, sinus pressure, etc. of course may indicate an infection which may be present without initially having an elevated temperature. You may want to contact your physicians office for an evaluation if symptoms persist.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 tashamonster - Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:52 am

since earlier in the week, my tempature has went up a bit (up to 97.5 now!), my nose seems to be draining much more, but im still having stomach cramps (which im drinking water to help).
I think it is a sinus infection, which wouldn't suprise me this time of year. any sugestions on how to get rid of it faster?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:49 pm

User avatar Hi tashamonster,
Excessive drainage which is clear may be decreased by an over the counter cold and sinus preparation providing you don't have any health conditions in which their use is contraindicated (always check with your physician prior to use). However, if the sinus drainage has any color aside from clear an antibiotic may be needed and I would advise you to call your physician for an evaluation.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here