Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Chronic Sore Throat

Kermster - Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:23 am

I am 22, female, and have been suffering from a sore throat, red bumps, swollen tonsils and lymph nodes accompanied by a fever of 99.6 since the begining of November of 2005. Two weeks after my symptoms started I saw my doctor. She ordered that I be tested for Mononucleosis and Strep. Mono. came back negative, strep came back possitive(but not type A?).

After being on Amoxicillin for 8 days, the symptoms were no better. I called my doctor and she took me off of Amoxicillin and started me on Cefprozil. After finishing 5 days, no improvement.

I went back in to see my doctor and she had another throat swab done that came back with a result of, "no abnormal bacteria" and then referred me to an ear, nose and throat specialist. He said it was a bacterial infection and placed me on Cephalexin for 7 days and scheduled me for a Tonsillectomy immediately following antibiotics. However, after 7 days were up, nothing changed in my throat, though my throat wasn't quite as sore and I felt better in general. He then gave me 7 more days of Cephalexin, but, nothing changed.

After that, I saw the specialist again and he said he could not put me on any more antibiotics but told me to gargle with Citris Listerine twice a day. I have been doing this for two weeks now and nothing is changing other than I am feeling slightly worse. I called the specialist today and was told to try Chloraseptic. The tonsillectomy has, of course, been postponed.

It looks like there are bumps and a couple of almost flaps of skin or growths of some sort in the area around my tonsils. I feel somewhat helpless and wonder if my specialist is doing all that is needed. I would greatly appreciate your input.

Thanks. :)
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:46 pm

User avatar Dear Kermster,

Most cases of sore throat are due to viral infection e.g. as part of flu and cold attack. Bacterial infections on the other hand represent a smaller number of cases. Usually there are other associated symptoms and signs that can point to the possible causative agent.

Viral induced sore throat usually subsides in week with rest and plenty fluid intake. Bacterial infections (group A streptococci is the commonest) causing sore throat need to be treated with antibiotics.
Infectious mononucleosis is a type of virus EBV induced sore throat that lead to recurrent sore throat with swollen tonsils and lymph nodes in addition to other specific symptoms and signs. Streptococcal pharyngitis and EBV infection are usually difficult to be differentiated.

If you suffer from recurring sore throats, it's also possible that your toothbrush needs to be changed as it may transmit the infection for you after you have recovered from your first attack.

Experts says that a sore throat that lasts for longer than a week is often caused by allergies, or exposure to humidity, smoking, irritation from heating and cooling systems.Repeated pharyngitis can also happen seasonally or all year long most commonly due to allergies and in this case usually the allergic individual wake up early in the morning with sore throat.

A sore throat that does not’t improve or repeated with a short period of time should be investigated properly. By complete history and proper examination your physician can evaluate the cause of this recurrent sore throat and recommend treatment.

Recurrent pharyngitis is the most frequent indication for tonsillectomy. The goals of surgery include amelioration of symptoms, avoidance of sick days and reduction of complications such as peritonsillar abscess, streptococcal cervical adenitis and the immunologic sequel of streptococcal infections

Dr. Anthony Solomon - Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:06 pm

If you have been experiencing sore throat since November 2005, the condition must now be regarded as chronic pharyngitis.

This condition is a more low-grade problem than acute pharyngitis, which has been adequately explained in the previous response.

Generally, chronic pharyngitis may be due to:

internal irritants from your own body such as:
post-nasal dripping
gastro-esophageal reflux
chronic dental sepsis

external irritants such as smoke or fumes in your workplace or home.

The treatment of this condition is aimed at eliminating causative internal or external irritants. If smoke and fumes are not a concern, ask your doctor to refer you to a dentist for exclusion of chronic dental sepsis and to a gastro-enterologist to exclude reflux disease.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 Lostartssociety - Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:33 pm

Hi !

I am 26 years old . Ever since i can remember i had problems with infection in my tonsils.. Also they were huge compared to what the normal size should be and had holes that got infected all the time . Something like tonslitus every 2 months!
2 Years ago i finally got them removed and for the first year after i had not got any illness or sickness that affected my throat however it was not long since i started AGAIN to get serious soar throats or throat infections every 3-4 months! As i am writting this once again i have a soar throat for the past 4 days (I had a soar throat around 2 months ago.).. . I try to use as less drugs possible to fight it however i never manage to fight it naturally and end up being on antibiotics , usualy " zithromax" .
This throat infection and soarness always seems to appear when there is some change in the weather , from hot to cold or opposite . The same reason i used to get tosilitis was whenever the weather changed ..
My quesiton is ., is it possible to have these throat attacks from changing weather and if so, is it normal that i should get the same thing every 2-4 months. Is there something i am missing that could be causing this over and over again ? and is there something you might be able to recommend ?

Thanks in advcance

|