News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Chronic sore throat and abnormal growths

wushock - Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:46 am

I have been having a mild to severe sore throat 90% of the time for about 8 weeks now. No fever. I also have noticed that my left tonsil has what appears to be a lump or growth at the back of it 1-2 cm long. The right tonsil is frequently irritated but does not have a lump. Also above the left tonsil in I guess is the soft palate area I have a growth that appears to be pus filled, it has a white spot on it. It is less than 1 cm at this time. I also will have pain that radiates from the back of my throat to my left ear on occassion. I also have been having problems with my jaw popping on that side much more frequently in the last 4-6 months.

I went to the doctor and they just said maybe it was an infection and put me on amoxicillin. The amoxicillin has not made any of my symptoms go away, and I am through with the dosage. I cannot decide if I should go back to a doctor or if I'm just being over concerned? After all, my chief complaint is only the recurring sore throat.

My other question is do I go to my primary care again or go to an ENT? My insurance co-pay is the same regardless of whether I go to a regular primary-care type doctor or make an appointment with an ENT. I do not have to have referrals with my insurance plan. Should I skip going to the primary care doctor again and go straight to the ENT since the primary care I question whether they know what it could be? Or will be able to pin point it quickly? I am not rich and can't be paying the co-pay for a visit every few weeks while it is determined what I may have.

I would appreciate another doctor(s) input on the topic or theories. What can these signs/symptoms mean? Should I even be concerned? Which doctor should I visit next?

Thanks.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:25 am

User avatar Dear Wushock,

Chronic sore throat is not normal. Your sinuses should be checked. Since, amoxillin did not work, i will assume that the cause of your sore throat is either not a bacteria, an unusual bacteria that is not susceptible to amoxicillin or may be you have an abcess that needs to be drained. Since viral infections do not last that long, most probably this is not a viral infection.

i would suggest that you should see an ent doctor really soon and have a biopsy done of your throat and of the lesions.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here