News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: red bumps and lymph nodes

adrock4455 - Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:01 pm

Hi, I am 24 yo male. I live in New York and just started substitute teaching. I found a patch of small red dots on my left abdomen (about where your elbow hits your torso). There are about 6 raised spots that look like bug bites. They started out slightly itchy but are now more painful to the touch. I have had them for about 6 days. The lymph nodes on my left side also were raised and painful but now just swollen. Are there any particular viruses that would cause this? I don't have any other symptoms (ie flu-like or fever)... just the quarter-sized patch of spots and the lymph nodes. I am sexually active but pretty precautious. my grandmother had shingles. I am thinking I may have picked something up from the 3rd graders I teach. Thanks very very much for your advice.

Scott
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:17 am

User avatar Dear adrock4455,

It sounds like Herpes zoster ,

Herpes zoster is an acute, localized infection with varicella-zoster virus, that results in a painful, vesicular rash.

During childhood episode of chickenpox caused by this virus, the virus remain dormant in the body.

Re-activation is seen in some people when their immune system is compromised during stress periods or an impaired immune system in some systemic diseases like DM.

Lesions are in the form of red patches of skin with small vesicles that increases over 3 to 5 days. Blisters then break into all ulcers which get dry with crusts formation.

Lesions typically occur along a single dermatome (the body area supplied by a single spinal nerve) and on one side of the body (unilateral).

The trunk is more frequently affected, like a rectangular belt of rash from the spine along one side of the chest to the breastbone (sternum).

Direct clinical examination is essential.
follow up with your doctor is essential. Keep us updated.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here