Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: could i have herpes?

sumcrazyemoboi - Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:02 pm

I am a 17 year old male. Exactly one week ago I had unprotected sex with a girl that had herpes. She had no symptoms at the time, and I washed my areas well afterwards. I noticed today that there were little red bumps surrounding my pubic hair and kind of around my thigh and very lower stomach area. They do not hurt, and they are extremely small and numerous (hundreds). They are not on my penis or anywhere but around my hair. I have no other symptoms, and no pain, blisters, or burning, but I’m still worried about this. I almost think it is from having vigorous sex (different partner) the night before, or that it is newly growing hairs (I especially think it could be these things because I shave down there…plus, so did the girl I had sex with so my skin might have just been pricked or irritated). I have been doing my very best to keep stress free so that I can help build up my resistance as well. Can you please tell me what you think the chances are that I have or will contract herpes?
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:52 pm

The description you have given is not suggestive of genital herpes. Genital herpes is characterised by the appearance of a cluster of vesicles which break down into painful ulcers. The first episode, known as the primary attack, is often associated with systemic effects such as fever, malaise, enlarged groin lymph nodes and urinary retention. You do not complain of any of these symptoms.

The incubation period of genital herpes is 2-20 days, with an average of 6 days. I cannot predict if you will contract the infection, but if you have not done so in 20 days, it is unlikely to happen.

For your further information, an infected partner does not require to have visible lesions to be able to transmit the infection. 70% of transmission occurs during times of symptomless shedding of the virus.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 sumcrazyemoboi - Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:09 pm

thank you very much for that help... it has been more than 20 days now and i seem to still be okay... i did feel that it was way hotter down there than normal a couple times a few weeks ago, and i don't know what swelling lymph nodes are, but i have no blisters or painful ulcers. So, I'm thinking i should be okay... I guess i should say that i am more than likely okay, but i should get tested eventually just to make perfectly sure... right? so i was wondering how long i should wait so that i get accurate results if it has already been over 3 weeks...? thank you much for your time and input... i appreciate that there is something like this for people like me...
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:12 am

Primary infection with the herpes simplex virus can be determined by detection of the specific antibodies to HSV-1 and HSV-2. This test is known as the Herpes 1 and 2 Antibody Profile (IgG). and can be performed from 6 weeks after exposure.

Viral culture or Antigen detection is the diagnostic tool for anyone exhibiting symptomatic lesions.

Dr Anthony Solomon

|