News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: AIDS

Question: Need Help

hockeyplayr43 - Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:35 pm

22 years of age
Male

IN april/may 2005, I had unprotected sex with a friend. The encounter lasted for 30 -40 seconds until we realized that i did not have a condom on. For several months i had absolutely no symptons of anything. In novemeber 2005, i had a sore throat and had various medical alignments which include mono and asthma. I had an HIV test in both Nov, and Dec. Both can back negative. Recently my glands in both my neck and under my arm have been bothersome(JAN). Now my girlfriend has a gland in her throat in the same place as me swollen. I have began to think. I am concerned that maybe the test did not have the right specifications or soemthing like that . I am going to the doctor to have another test, i am looking for anyone that might have any ideas.
 MaryAnn N, RN - Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:33 am

User avatar The tests commonly used to detect HIV infection actually look for antibodies produced by your body to fight HIV. Most people will develop detectable antibodies within 3 months after infection, the average being 20 days. In rare cases, it can take 6-12 months. During the time between exposure and the test. You will be coming up on the year mark in May. If you have not engaged in any risky behaviour since May of last year at that time. You will be in the clear in May. It is highly unlikely that you are infected with HIV but is still of a concern. See your doctor about your swollen glands, you may have an underylying disorder that has not yet been tested for.

Hope I have answered your questions.

MaryAnnRN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here