Forum Name: Other infections

Question: am i 'infectious' in public places?

alicemagooey - Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:50 pm

have had a Yeast Infection for what seems like all my life..beginning when i was very very young,i had vaginal itch,and discharge..also bowel problems(constipation) and also have been diagnosed some years ago with Tinnea..i think that is what it is called. My toenails are discolored,brittle,have a thickness under the nails,and are ugly.I have been perscribed a number of things in past by different physicians,but the conditions never cleared up at all..

my question:i do not swim in public swimming pools,nor walk barefooted in public places
because i do not want to spread these infections
..They are so awful..i would not wish them for anybody.

i would really like to live normally..and i would really like to go swimming without fearing that anyone would catch my diseases.

please offer me some help and advice if you would be so kind.
alice :cry:
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:48 am

User avatar Alice,
Thanks for dropping by!
Vaginal candidiasis as far as I know cannot be transmitted by swimming. It can be transmitted by sexual intercourse. The chlorine in swimming pools could lead to vaginal irritation encouraging the development of candida infection. Infections that can be acquired by swimming include: trichomonas, cryptosporidum and some forms of tinea among others.

About 5 percent of women with vaginal yeast infections develop recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis (RVVC), which is defined as four or more vaginal yeast infections in a one-year period. Although RVVC is more common in women who have diabetes or weakened immune systems, most women with RVVC have no underlying medical illness that would predispose them to recurrent Candida infections. Medical experts still are trying to determine the most effective way to treat RVVC. Currently, most doctors treat this problem with two weeks of oral medication (fluconazole), followed by up to six months of a lower maintenance dose.
 alicemagooey - Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:54 pm

you kindly responded to my concerns..may i surmise,that since you said that "some kinds of Tinnea" are contageous through swimming in public places,that,although my Candida cannot be spread through swimming,my Tinnea mght be transmittable..There fore i am correct in being wary of swimming in public pools...for the sake of others using the facilities..
thank you
alice
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:50 pm

User avatar Alice,
I understand your concern for others and that in is admirable and rare to find these days. I disagree with you that you are correct not to swim.

Let me first concentrate on what you can do for your tinea:

Preventive measures

Good personal hygiene helps to prevent and treat athlete's foot.
Anti-fungal powders may be used as a preventive measure if a person is susceptible to athlete's foot.
Drying the feet thoroughly after bathing or swimming has been shown to be the best means to
prevent the disorder.
Avoid socks made of synthetic materials, because they can retain moisture against the skin.
Change the socks as frequently as needed to keep the feet dry on a daily basis. Shoes should be well
ventilated and preferably of natural material such as leather, if feet perspire greatly.
Dry your toes thoroughly after bath and try to spend time with bare feet when you can.
Wear sandals or shoes when walking on moist or wet floors.
Don't share shoes or personal care items such as towels.

Second: It's commonly believed that tinea is highly contagious -- that it is easily contracted by walking barefoot in a locker room, for example. This is not true. Medical experiments, in which the objective has been to infect healthy skin with tinea, have failed; often one may have it without infecting others in the same living space.

Third: Here's a very practical solution that will allow you to swim without in the least bit being worried about infecting others:

- After cleaning and drying your feet thoroughly, place antifungal powder on your toes.
- Get yourself a pair of aqua socks or aqua shoes (also known as water shoes) like the ones used in snorkelling and wear them on. They are probably more protective than the shoes you are wearing everyday walking around your own house etc..

Have a look at them here: Aqua socks

Please note that we are in no way affiliated with this website and do not recommend you buy their product in particular.

- After you finish swimming take them off, wash and dry your feet then apply antifungal powder again.

Happy swimming!
 alicemagooey - Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:44 pm

i sent you a personal message,but i never know if i am working this computer/web tv correctly..i am not a 'tecchie'.

many thanks for taking the time to help and encourage me to try new solutions..so that i can enjoy a bit of a 'normal' life!
the 'aqua shoes' is a great idea!!

thanks again,!!

alice

|