News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Tonsillitis on genitals?

imjustcrazy - Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:14 pm

I'm a 17 year old female and i have only been sexually active with two males. One was a long time (4 years) ago and the other is currently going on. 2 weeks ago he performed oral sex on me and found out a few days later that he had tonsillitis. He said that his doctor mentioned its a viral disease and can be transmitted to genitals. I'm a little bit worried because for the past day or so my vagina has been itching. There's no burning and no other symptoms i can notice except the itching and occasionally it will be a little senstive. Does it sound like i have tonsillitis on my vagina? Is that even possible? Could it maybe be just a mild yeast infection? Please help. thanks.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:02 am

User avatar Hello,

No you cannot get tonsillitis of the genitals. But you can acquire many infections during oral sex.

In addition to HIV, gonorrhoea, syphilis, chlamydia can all be picked up during oral sex.

Another very common virus that can be transmitted by oral sex is the herpes virus. There are two types of Herpes simplex virus (HSV). Type 1 affects mainly the lip – causing ‘cold sores. Type 2 causes blisters on the genitals.

HSV can cause pharyngitis, an inflammation of the throat with ulcer formation. HSV is known to be highly infectious and virus particles are shed from either genital or oral ulcers. Infection is far more likely when ulcers are present.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here