Forum Name: Other infections

Question: genital bumps

bluetech55 - Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:25 am

Im a 21 year old female, and I have bumps in my pubic region which ive had for about a month. I went to the gyno, was tested for stds in sept.(came out negative) and had the bumps looked at right before thanksgiving.

She told me what they were ( the long scientific name, i cant remember) and said that they were not genital warts and that they would go away on their own. Most of the bumps are going away but one or two have grown. they don't hurt or itch, just embarrassing. could she be wrong.

im in a long distance relationship and have had sex about once a month with my boyfriend. im about to go home for christmas break and wanted to know if i could have gotten something from him from the one time we had sex after i was tested or if i should hold off having sex so i don't spread it.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:16 pm

It would be more helpful if you could describe more these lesions.

However, it could be a Dermatitis.

Dermatitis is referred to different types of skin rashes that are caused by infections, allergies, and irritants.

The severity of the rash range from mild to severe according to the cause. There might be Itching on many cases.

- Folliculitis is an infection of the hair follicles. Forming small, white-headed Bumps in hair follicles (roots).
Lesions may be Itching. Superficial folliculitis resolves spontaneously in a few days, while deep or recurring folliculitis should be medically treated.

- Seborrheic Dermatitis occurs on any part of the body where the skin is oily or greasy.
They usually flare in winter and become less in summer.

Secondary bacterial infections may occur and Antibiotic lotions, cream and or systemic form are used for treatment.
Otherwise, specific lotions and shampoo are used for treatment.

- Although it sounds strange to think of Acne, but your description is very suggestive of Acne. In reality many people may have Acne in the pubic region even without having this on the usual areas like face and chest.

Other causes include:

- Contact Dermatitis occurs due to skin contact with a substance that causes an allergic reaction (allergic contact Dermatitis)
or with an irritant substances (irritant contact Dermatitis).

There are many causes for contact Dermatitis some involve irritants such as soaps, certain creams and some may be due to allergy.

Avoiding the causing substance is the mainstay of prevention in addition to medications prescribed by your doctor.

These lesions appeared before you have been tested Negative for STDs, so the possibility of being due to STDs is less likely.

Direct clinical examination is essential for diagnosis.
I advise you to follow with your doctor.
 bluetech55 - Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:36 am

thank you very much.

the doctor actually said that i could use the same treatment used on genital warts to make the bumps go away. i don't know if that means anything.

the bumps don't hurt in any way. most have stayed the same size (about the size of a marker point) but two have grown (about 2mm in diameter). the texture reminds me of a mole or skin tag, but the pigment is my regular skin color.

hope thats a little more help.
i really appreciate the information
 helpmepls - Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:41 am

Can anybody help me? My husband has dandruff like dead skin just below the head of the penis. Whenever he peels it off it shows red spot under it but it doesnt hurt, it doesnt hurt when he pis doesnt itch, no cuts, no bleeding just the dead ski as we both call it. The following it has the dead skin again on the same spot. What should we do? Anyone please help!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:06 pm

Dermatological consultation is essential.

Till the diagnosis is reached you better follow protected sex measures as to use condoms.

Causes include:

- Traumatic injury due to very active intercourse or masturbation especially when enough lubrication is absent may cause the damage of the skin of the penis.

- Herpetic lesions (thrush) result in redness,, and sometimes peeling of the skin but itching is one of the common symptoms.
Whenever one partner is infected, it is a must that both partners receive the treatment and avoid sex till recovered or at least use of condoms is recommended.

-eczema and dermatitis as well as other skin diseases (psoriasis) should be excluded.

Contact Dermatitis occurs due to skin contact with a substance that causes an allergic reaction (allergic contact Dermatitis)

Keep us updated.

|