News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: AIDS

Question: AIDS from a knife?

Smartpatrol9 - Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:51 pm

I'm 17, I recently bought a knife from a thrift shop. I opened it up and accidentally dropped it on to my leg. It broke the skin, but it wasn't deep...it barely went in. It took about 25 seconds to start bleeding (it went through my jeans). Is there any chance that I could get aids? I mean, it's from a factory in china, but still...? Also, I used to cut my arms with paper clips and safety pins. Typically, I'd scratch myself and like 30 seconds later, they'd bleed. Any chance of getting HIV?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:17 pm

User avatar Regarding cutting yourself with paperclips and safety pins, the risk of contracting AIDS is zero from this as long as the objects were not previously used by someone who had HIV.

Regarding the knife. It is very unlikely to contract HIV (the virus that causes AIDS) in this manner. We've learned from studies that solid objects (such as a sewing needle) are much less likely to spread the virus than are hollow objects (such as an injection needle). This data should transfer to knives as well. In addtion, someone with HIV would have needed to cut themselves with the knife causing their blood to be on the object. Then, you would need to cut yourself in a relatively short period of time as the HIV virus is not a particularly strong virus once it is exposed to the environment and dies quickly.

Having said that, if you are concerned you can request an HIV test. There are several clinics that can do this test anonymously if you so desire. The testing centers can discuss with you when to be tested as the timing varies depending on the test they use.

Hope this helps.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here