Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: bump near vagina-herpes?

worri3d - Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:46 am

I'm a 19 year old female. I don't have any significant past diagoses, family history, and no surgeries or current medication. This morning I found a bump above my vagina, in the groin area, to the left side. It was red and about 1/2 a centimeter in diameter and was filled with puss and tender to the touch. Due to rubbing, it opened up during the day and has been bleeding/pussing the past while. It's now purple. The last time I had sex was 4 months ago. Is it possible that this is herpes? Thank you
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:44 pm

Hepres infection results in small, very painful blisters (fluid is inside the lesion), genital irritation, itching, and discharge.
The sores turns into crust, that scab.

However, it is more likely to be due to:
Infection and inflammation of the hair follicles and sebaceous (sweat) glands. They may be infected, trichomycosis in the case of sweat glands and folliculitis in the case of hair follicles.

They may be visible as small nodules or might only be felt as small lumps in the skin which are yellow/black or red nodules. They may contain pus in them.

The hallmark is that they will have a hair arising from them that reveals their true nature. These lesions can be associated with erythema and itching. Superinfection with other dermatophytes has been noted.

Direct clinical examination is essential.
Hope you find this information useful.

|