News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Sudden lump under jaw and infront of ear

kokanee01 - Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:42 pm

Hi I'm a 23 year old female and my jaw and throat have been a little soar, I have also been stuffed up and developed a break out of sore acne on the problem side. Today I found a lump under my right jaw just below my ear, its very tender and about the size of a dime, my face is also a little swollen and tender and sore all together on that side. I have a lump infront of my ear as well, it feels like an extension of my jaw bone or that my jaw joint is swelled, i went to the doctor and he said it was an infection, my ears have also felt like i had a bit of fluid in them and sore, my jaw on the other side is also kind of sore and tender at the joint, he gave me a prescription for Nu-Clotrimox or something like that, but i am very wary of taking drugs especially ones with serious side effects like steven-johnson syndrome, how common our these effects from the drug and is it safe and is this what these lumps are really from?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:34 am

User avatar Hello,

Abnormal lymph node enlargement tends to commonly result from infection / immune response, cancer and less commonly due to infiltration of macrophages filled with metabolite deposits (eg, storage disorders).

Infected Lymph nodes tend to be firm, tender, enlarged and warm. Inflammation can spread to the overlying skin, causing it to appear reddened.

The submandibular lymph nodes are located along the underside of the jaw on either side. They drain the tongue, submaxillary gland, lips and mouth, conjunctivae. Common causes of enlargement include infections of head, neck, sinuses, ears, eyes, scalp, pharynx.

Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim (Nu-Cotrimox) an antibiotic that is most commonly used to treat infections of the bladder, ear, sinus, skin, intestine, and lung. I am sure your doctor is aware of all the side effects of this drugs. If he prescribed it then I think you should take his advice.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here