Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Swollen lymph nodes

Sarahvowell - Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:06 am

I have one swollen jugular lymph node on the right side. It is very painful and I can kind of feel it in my throat. It is causing a sore throat on that one side. I caught what I believed to be was the common cold back before christmas and I cant seem to get it to go away. I still have some cold symptoms including an on again off again fever. Im wondering if this will go away in a few more days (it has been 4). or if I should consult me Dr.? Thanks for your help!
Sarah
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:55 pm

The swelling you have described that is felt on the right upper side of the neck (I assumed from what you said -jugualr-) is probably enlarged Lymph nodes as it occurs in a Lymph node region, however this must be confirmed by your physician.

Abnormal Lymph node enlargement commonly results from infection / immune response, cancer.

Following infection Lymph nodes become enlarged, painful and tender (most likely to be the cause in your case).

A history of throat infection is usually present, as this lymph node could be a reactionary to infection in the area drained by this lymph node group (most likely to be the cause in your case). .

After recovery or treatment of infection with adequate course of antibiotics, they regress in size but never to normal size.

Hence nodes that continue to grow in size are significant and those that regress in size tend to be more reassuring.

Direct clinical examination is essential. I advise you to consult your doctor for proper management.

Keep us updated.
 clairebear9898 - Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:15 pm

You could have mono. That's what they told me when I had a sore throat/swollen lymph nodes. Mine just turned out to be strep throat that needed an extra dose of antibiotics, but it could be mono in your case.

|