Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: rabies?

void_stuff - Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:14 am

I was bitten by a not so nice looking dog about 48 hours ago, at a beach. I live in southAmerica, Chile. Rabies on dogs are not very common but a dog without owner may have rabies. ---I did not see any symptoms on the dog though; no saliva and not so aggressive behavior. The dog was trying to catch a ball.

The bit was not significant at all, did not bleed. It was on my arm and left me numerous scratches but no bleed or wound. But then I started searching for any bleeding more closely and I found 2 very tiny spots of only 1mm wide where i could see blood, but it wasn't coming out. I washed my arm with sea water. Few hours later I cleaned with alcohol. IS IT ENOUGH FOR RABIES TO MIX WITH MY BLOOD STREAM?

since the blood contact was very small, if I have the virus it should probably reach my central nervous system after many months. I read that rabies can start with it's lethal symptoms after even a year. If it were my case, PEP injections would last so much time?

what should i do?

PD I cant visit easily the dog again to see appearing symptoms on it because i left the beach.
 Dr. A. Rajput - Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:04 am

User avatar
I did not see any symptoms on the dog though; no saliva and not so aggressive behavior. The dog was trying to catch a ball.

Thats a good thing for you. One of the most important factor in rabies is unprovoked bite by a seemingly ill dog. 95% chance is that dog wasn't rabid. Not sure about frequency of rabies in Chile, else I'd say 98% !

2% risk is a small risk only if its not your risk. But then, you never know if you belong to 2% category or not! So you need to go for post exposure immunization. I have assumed that Chile is not a Rabies-free country.

But then I started searching for any bleeding more closely and I found 2 very tiny spots of only 1mm wide where I could see blood, but it wasn't coming out.

In some cases, even licks by rabid animal on abraded skin is sufficient for transmission of virus.

I could see blood, but it wasn't coming out. I washed my arm with sea water. Few hours later I cleaned with alcohol. IS IT ENOUGH FOR RABIES TO MIX WITH MY BLOOD STREAM?

Yes.

Good thing is you didnt cover the wound (I hope). It wasn't a big wound anyway.

I read that rabies can start with it's lethal symptoms after even a year. If it were my case, PEP injections would last so much time?

Thats why they are meant to be. All you have to do is follow the proper schedule.

Code: Select all
what should I do?

PD I cant visit easily the dog again to see appearing symptoms on it because I left the beach.

Passive immunization (immunoglobulin) - Will take care of current infection, if any.

Active immunization :- Rabies vaccine. These are of various types and their availability differs from country to country.

HDCV immunization is given on following days :-

Shots on Days - 0, 3, 7, 14, 28 and a booster dose on 90th day. These are intramuscular injections on deltoid (around shoulder).

If the dog is healthy and normal after 10 days (if you can keep a watch), no need to take further doses.

Doses schedule may vary according to type of vaccine used.
 void_stuff - Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:35 am

thank you very much for the information. I think I took a decision. Chile is clean from rabies, and for the judging of the behavior of the dog it did not have rabies because it should show signs of illness and more aggressive behavior.

i have a question though. if the virus has just reached the brain of the dog and , say he is in his first day of symptoms, will it show less aggressive behavior as the virus is progressive?; and can it seem to be like a normal dog?

also i did not mention that in desperation i decided to suck with my mouth the 2 spots of blood for any remaining saliva: I did this after i had cleaned my arm a bit with sea water. Could it be of any help?
 Dr. A. Rajput - Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:51 am

User avatar
if the virus has just reached the brain of the dog and , say he is in his first day of symptoms, will it show less aggressive behavior as the virus is progressive?; and can it seem to be like a normal dog?

Once the virus gains entry into the dog, it takes approximately 4-6 weeks for the dog to become symptomatic (either very irritable or very dumb). The virus appears in the saliva just few days before the symptoms.

In few circumstances, a dog could be totally without symptoms till it dies.

|