Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Chapped lips with herpes and hpv

Water - Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:32 am

I slept with a std infected man about a year ago, and I got hpv (and have a vagina full of genital warts that I'm treating with tea tree oil and garlic oil) and recurrent herpes that I'm decently controlling with herbs, diet, and vitamins. At the same time my lips became chapped and they've hurt bad ever since. With heavy amounts of aloe vera (freshly harvested) and vit E I'm able to keep them from hurting too bad. I quess I think it's oral herpes, but I don't know. I don't know what to do to help it. It hasn't healed itself ever, but there are periods when it seems like an outbreak is happening and my lips get real chapped in the corners of my mouth. Is there anything I can do to help myself. I can't kiss anybody can I?

I'm 23, F, tested positive for herpes and have hpv, no real surgeries, No std's in the family, no prescriptions.
 Dr. Leigh Anderson - Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:53 pm

User avatar There are two types of HSV.
HSV type 1 most commonly infects the mouth and lips, causing sores known as fever blisters or cold sores. It is also an important cause of sores to the genitals.
HSV type 2 is the usual cause of genital herpes, but it also can infect the mouth.

If you have small warts, your health care provider can remove them by one of three methods.

Freezing (cryosurgery)
Burning (electrocautery)
Laser treatment

If you have large warts that have not responded to other treatment, you may have to have surgery to remove them.

Although there is no cure for genital herpes, your health care provider might prescribe an antiviral medicine to treat your symptoms and to help prevent future outbreaks. This can decrease the risk of passing herpes to sexual partners. Medicines to treat genital herpes are

Acyclovir (Zovirax)
Famciclovir (Famvir)
Valacyclovir (Valtrex)

Some health care providers inject the antiviral drug alpha interferon directly into warts that have returned after removal by traditional means. The drug is expensive, however, and does not reduce the rate that the genital warts return.

Although treatments can get rid of the warts, none get rid of the virus. Because the virus is still present in your body, warts often come back after treatment.

PREVENTION
The only way you can prevent getting an HPV infection is to avoid direct contact with the virus, which is transmitted by skin-to-skin contact. If you or your sexual partner has warts that are visible in the genital area, you should avoid any skin-to skin and sexual contact until the warts are treated. Genital herpes is an infection of the genitals, buttocks, or anal area caused by herpes simplex virus (HSV).

You can transmit herpes through close contact other than sexual intercourse, through oral sex or close skin-to-skin contact, for example.

Reduce your risk of spreading herpes
People with herpes should follow a few simple steps to avoid spreading the infection to other places on their body or other people.

Avoid touching the infected area during an outbreak, and wash your hands after contact with the area.
Do not have sexual contact (vaginal, oral, or anal) from the time of first genital symptoms until symptoms are completely gone.

Recurrences are generally much milder than the first outbreak of genital herpes. HSV-2 genital infection is more likely to result in recurrences than HSV-1 genital infection. Recurrences become less common over time.

Sometimes, the virus can become active but not cause any visible sores or any symptoms. During these times, small amounts of the virus may be shed at or near places of the first infection, in fluids from the mouth, penis, or vagina, or from barely noticeable sores. This is called asymptomatic (without symptoms) shedding. Even though you are not aware of the shedding, you can infect a sexual partner during this time. Asymptomatic shedding is an important factor in the spread of herpes.

Coping with Herpes
A diagnosis of genital herpes can have emotional effects whether or not symptoms are present. If you have genital herpes, you are probably concerned about the effect of your disease on personal relationships. In addition, your sexual partner may be concerned about their risk of infection. Proper counseling and treatment can help you and your partner learn to cope with the disease.
Cautions
Do not have oral genital contact in the presence of any symptoms or findings of oral herpes.
Using barriers such as condoms during sexual activity may decrease transmission, but transmission can occur even if condoms are used correctly. Condoms may not cover all infected areas.

Cervical Cancer and Oral CancerThere are other forms of HPV which are also sexually transmitted, and are a serious problem. These are; HPV-16, HPV-18, HPV-31, and HPV-45. These cancer-associated types of HPVs cause dysplastic tissue growths that usually appear flat and are nearly invisible. Dysplastic tissue is the presence of abnormal cells on the surface of the skin. Dysplasia is not cancer, but it is a tissue change seen prior to malignancy. A highly studied topic is HPV's ability to cause cervical cancer. . The most dangerous HPV's, 16 and 18, which are transmitted through sexual contact are known to cause up to 95% of cervical cancers. Now these two HPV's are also being linked to oral cancer.

This information I am providing to you is to make you aware of the diease (HPV) And the possible long term effects it can cause on your body.

It is imperative that you speak and keep in contact with your physcian on a regular basis in order for your doctor to give you the best treatment possible to help elimate any future potential health problems.

Keep In Touch

Dr. Anderson

|