Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Post nasal drip - very thick phlegm

davey2 - Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:37 am

Hello, I have question about my symptoms and health. There is something very troubling with my symptoms that I have and am possibly spreading to my fellow co-workers. I seen quite a few doctors who have not really been very helpful. When I try to explain my symptoms they just shake their heads and tell to take some decongestants. They pretty much ignore me and say that my fellow co-workers have allergies.

They are professional doctors and that they know more than I do, but I know that I think they are wrong. When a doctor tells me that i am healthy and it that I am not communicabe it gives me hope and some reassurance. However, I know what is going on.

This may seem very far fetched but it is true. For about a year now I have had post nasal drip which has produced very thick phlegm. This has caused me to constantly clear my throat many many times a day. I have no other symptoms. However, it seems as if I am spreading this around to my fellow co-workers. All I have to do is sit next to them, no talking nor am I coughing or sneezing, and they too will begin clearing their throats. This is a fact. Many of them first get a stuffy nose and within a couple of days, some earlier, they will to begin to clear their throats.

Earlier today I heard a woman, who I sat next to yesterday, clearing her throat and making terrible sounds while trying to do so. That is just one example. I have heard more workers do so to. How is this possible?

I took blood tests and had a chest x-ray this past friday and will get my results this friday (the doctor has a very busy schedule). However I have become impatient and hopefully you can shed some light onto my situation. Again this sound very wierd but it is true.
 Dr. Leigh Anderson - Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:44 pm

User avatar Hi Davey,

Have you spoke to someone in your office about the possibility of them checking for a mold problem. Being that more than yourself seem to presenting the same symptoms.

Some people may have a genetic predisposition to mold related illness just as some do to allergies and many other health issues. Short term very high exposure to toxic mold, or for people who are particularly sensitive or vulnerable, protracted toxic or allergenic mold exposure, even at what we consider rather low levels, can be a serious problem.

When you're exposed to large amounts continually over a long period of time, eventually your immune system becomes hyper-acute. It begins to over-react to the mold and when that happens, symptoms ensue."

it can cause a variety of stubborn symptoms ranging from flu-like runny nose, tiredness and migraine headaches, to conjestion...." antibiotics don't work on fungus related allergies
 davey2 - Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:35 am

Thanks for responding. I am sure that mold is probably not the cause for their symptoms since this has happened before. Around six months ago I noticed a couple of my friends also got stuffy noses. Then I thought nothing much of it. However, it seemed very odd since it happened during a brutal heat wave.
Not everyone ends up clearing their throats just a few. Although some do up getting a cough with mucus. Which I have told my doctors about.

I should have been more specific with my symptoms. The phlegm that I produced is not normal. It is very thick and at times sticky which makes my mouth feel slimy (strange feeling). I have been told me that I have chronic sinusitis. Currently I am taking a nasal spray and loratadine for my allergies. Although I do not think that I have any.
On a side note: I feel very guilty. Just knowing that I might be spreading some kind of virus or disease to innocent people (unintentionally of course).

|