News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: STD (Herpes T1?) or something else?

wgreggary - Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:42 pm

I was given oral sex by my wife who a few days who later had a reoccurrance of Herpes Type 1 in the mouth (it had been years since the last one). I understand that it is possible to transmit type 1 to the genital area even without showing visible signs.

However, from everything I've read and seen (pictures), what I am showing is not typical signs of the herpes virus.

A week or so after the oral sex, a burning irritation/discomfort near the penis opening about a week and a couple of days ago. I never saw any visible signs until last night when I looked more closely. I found 2 VERY VERY small (pin head sized) black dots that are only irritated when touched and the burning last for a little while afterwards. They are around 2 millimeters apart from one another. I've looked many times to make sure they are black, not brown, or white, and definitely not red.

I wonder if it might be a bite of some kind, but of course, the deeper fear is that it is herpes type 1. I hope that the black dots are just a coincidence and not something more.

Does this sound like anything you've heard of in regard to an STD?

Thank you very much for your help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:34 pm

User avatar Most commonly genital herpes occurs due to HSV type 2 and oral herpes occurs due to HSV type 1. Either virus can cause outbreaks in either location, however. It is possible to get genital herpes from contact with an oral HSV lesion (though not as common as infection from genital contact).

Your symptoms do not sound classic for an HSV infection. Typically, HSV lesions are more blister like initially then scab over.

You may also be experiencing some irritation of the skin due to trauma or a contact dermatitis.

If you continue to have the symptoms I would recommend evaluation by your doctor. If HSV is in question a culture can be done.

Hope this helps.
 wgreggary - Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:13 pm

Thanks!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here