News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: white, itchy rectal discharge

roxey123 - Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:46 pm

I am a 34-year-old lesbian. Sexually, I have a gf (of one year), and we engage in vulvar frottage. She gave me unprotected oral sex one time.

Here is my question:

I have been having an itchy, white rectal discharge and a strange-smelling vaginal discharge since June.

My doctor tested me for chlamydia, gonorrhea, HIV infection, yeast infection, BV and diabetes. All tests came back negative.

Finally, my doctor had me take cleocin ovules for three days, and it seems to have cleared up the odor. However, that feeling of dampness around my anus, and the itchy white rectal discharge is still present. Sometimes it looks like white clumps in the toilet bowl.

Here is my question ...

I know this can be a symptom of gonorrhea. My doctor tested me for gonorrhea vaginally and the test came back negative. If I have rectal gonorrhea, will it show up on a test that was done vaginally? Or does a swab have to be taken from the rectum to diagnose it?

Thanks for your help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:50 pm

User avatar Your symptoms may be from an infection with gonorrhea or may also be a yeast infection.

To most accurately test for gonorrhea in the rectum a swab should be done from the rectal mucosa. A purely cervical swab may miss a rectal infection.

I recommend you follow up with your doctor regarding your persistent symptoms.

Hope this helps.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here