Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: dog bite

delta3205 - Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:02 am

Hi. I was bitten by a dog in October of 2003. There was 2 injuries, one on the front of the tibia, and the other was on the side of the calf around the gastrocnemius and soleus muscle. The bite on the calf is what is bothering me. It is an inch long and was about 2 to 3 inches deep. The er doctor put 4 lose stiches in to close. My question is will it ever stop hurting. It is still bruised and tender. When I swim or run, I cant walk the next day it hurts so bad. I was wondering if there could be in vascular problems. Thanks for your time.
Heather
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:03 am

User avatar Hello Delta,
You need to have your wound checked out and if it isn't inflammed or re-infected then I would suggest referral to a surgeon. You seem to be experiencing a wound contracture. Your surgeon will be able to determine if your scar problem can be corrected by physiotherapy or if it should require a surgical procedure such as Z-plasty.

Z-plasty is a surgical method for treating scarring which restricts normal movement of joints, or causes deformity. This type of scarring, known as contracture, is caused by shrinkage of tissues in the skin, muscles and tendons and may occur after extensive burns or other injury. Z plasty changes the direction of the scar in order to relieve skin tension caused by the tissues shrinking. Three incisions are made in a Z shape, with the central incision running along the scar. Two V shaped skin flaps are then formed by cutting skin away from underlying tissue. The flaps are then transposed. This has the effect of redistributing tension at right angles to the original defect. The flaps are then stitched in place.

|