News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: dog bite

delta3205 - Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:02 am

Hi. I was bitten by a dog in October of 2003. There was 2 injuries, one on the front of the tibia, and the other was on the side of the calf around the gastrocnemius and soleus muscle. The bite on the calf is what is bothering me. It is an inch long and was about 2 to 3 inches deep. The er doctor put 4 lose stiches in to close. My question is will it ever stop hurting. It is still bruised and tender. When I swim or run, I cant walk the next day it hurts so bad. I was wondering if there could be in vascular problems. Thanks for your time.
Heather
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:03 am

User avatar Hello Delta,
You need to have your wound checked out and if it isn't inflammed or re-infected then I would suggest referral to a surgeon. You seem to be experiencing a wound contracture. Your surgeon will be able to determine if your scar problem can be corrected by physiotherapy or if it should require a surgical procedure such as Z-plasty.

Z-plasty is a surgical method for treating scarring which restricts normal movement of joints, or causes deformity. This type of scarring, known as contracture, is caused by shrinkage of tissues in the skin, muscles and tendons and may occur after extensive burns or other injury. Z plasty changes the direction of the scar in order to relieve skin tension caused by the tissues shrinking. Three incisions are made in a Z shape, with the central incision running along the scar. Two V shaped skin flaps are then formed by cutting skin away from underlying tissue. The flaps are then transposed. This has the effect of redistributing tension at right angles to the original defect. The flaps are then stitched in place.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here