Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: My mystery Viral Infection

Thisisannoying - Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:15 am

I'm 20 years old and a male. Six days ago I began a fever which after two days later my right lymph node got extemely swollen. The node right under my tonsils. It is just the right side, So I went to a Urgent care hospital and got myself examined. He took a cotton swab test, came back negative for strep. Then he tapped on my stomache with his fingers seeing if my liver or something down there was swollen. There was nothing swollen down there. So they took my blood. I showed the doctor in the back of my mouth how I had like a hole in the side of my mouth. He said it was very common and it is from the tonsil's getting swollen and it will do this to you. He told me over time that it would heal itself. But I have had that hole above my tonsil for the last two years at the least. I get my results back from the Blood test. And they said I had a Viral infection. They gave me 20 vicodin to help me sleep. I'm six days into now and I've done nothing but sleep and take warm showers. Today I wake up to my fever being gone and something feels better I can tell, like I can breathe better. The swelling has gone down on the node that was sticking out my neck. But that hole above my tonsil where it all started from is very white and I have started to get these sores on my tongue. They almost look like little zits, but they hurt when I go spit out any fluids or if they touch anything.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:20 pm

User avatar There are several possible viruses that can cause lesions in the mouth. Your symptoms may indicate an infection with ebstein-barr virus (the virus that causes mononucleosis), or an enterovirus such as coxackie virus.

With your swollen lymph nodes and inflamed tonsils you may very well have mononucleosis. This can be tested for with a simple blood test.

I hope you feel better soon.

|