Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Penile Ulcers (please help!)

Danniare - Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:29 am

I am a 25 yo male from ireland. Last week, i noticed very small ulcers under my foreskin which became painful when i pulled my foreskin back. Then a couple of days ago, there were 2 or 3 ulcers on my shaft. I went to the docs and he asked me about my sexual activity; i've been with my g/f for 1-2 years and we have been totally faithful to each other. So he said there was no point going to an STD clinic. He couldn't tell me how i'd gotten them and what they were from. He was pretty sure it isn't an STD and prescribed two different antibiotics. I've been on the tablets for 2 days, but i'm no better. The tip of my foreskin is now swollen due to the ulcers and the "eye" of my penis is now a little red. I am also tender at the left side of my pubic region (lymph nodes??) only. The ulcers that are on my shaft are starting to turn a darker colour, as if they were scabbing away (hopefully).

Since neither my g/f or me have slept/kissed anyone else, could this be an std or just a bacterial infection. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:31 pm

User avatar If you both have been 100% faithful and there is not doubt of this, then it is unlikely that you have an STD. Even in the most trusting relationships I still recommend STD testing because some infections can be spread even though the partner is asymptomatic (especially HSV). This way, when everything comes back negative everyone can be reassured that these are off the list.

Also, I would be a little concerned about a skin infection such as with staph. You may need to change antibiotics to cover for resistant forms of staph (MRSA) if you are not currently on such coverage.

If there are vesicles or areas to culture I would recommend doing so.

It sounds as if your issues are fairly severe. I would strongly recommend that you follow up with your doctor soon to adjust your medications. If oral medications are not covering the infection you may need an IV form for a few days.

Danniare - Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:12 am

thanks for your reply. It's been 5 days since finishing the antibiotics and the ulcers are all gone. I've been taking epsom salt baths to speed it up a bit. all that remains now are very small dry skin patches (where the ulcers were). it was very worrying at the time, but it was more frustrating than anything else, as we have been nothing but faitful to each other. hopefully that's the end of it though! Would you still recommend me visit an std clinic, or could it have possibly been just a bacterial infection?

Thanks again for your reply.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:02 pm

User avatar If there is a chance of STD's I would recommend you be tested. It's unlikely that an STD was causing your initial symptoms but sometimes STD's do not produce symptoms.

Glad to hear your doing better.

|