Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Rheumatic Fever

ernie2jess - Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:49 pm

I'm female, 25 and have a history of Anxiety but am currently on 10mg of Lexapro for it. Two weeks ago, I started experiencing very sore throat and just overall body sickness. Then finally, last week I went to the doctor and they tested me for strep throat. It came back positive and I was prescribed Omnicef for it (allergy to Penicillin). Well, I've been feeling better and still taking my medicine. I have 2 more days left to take them. I just have a little bit of congestion every now and then, but right around 3:00 in the afternoon for the past 4 days, my body has been feeling achy. Now, I know that if strep is not treated properly or fast enough, that it can result in rheumatic fever and so on. I don't think I do have it, but why do my joints still hurt. I've been taking my antibiotics as prescribed. Are they not strong enough? Should I go back to the doctor and get retested to see if it has cleared?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:08 am

User avatar Retesting is not necessary as the type of strep that causes strep throat is extremely sensitive to antibiotics.

Generally it is thought that treatment of strep throat within 10 days will prevent rheumatic fever.

It is still possible to get some post infectious joint pain as some of the antibodies may settle into the joint.

Rheumatic fever is stil relatively rare so I think it is unlikely that this is what is going on. However, it does seem that you may have been treated a little late. I would recommend that you follow up with your doctor for an examination to make sure that all is well.

|