Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: chest rash and shortness of breath

HELPMe2334 - Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:33 pm

Hello im a 25 yr old male, i have no diagnoses and have had minor surgeries sports related. My symptoms started when i got my new job 4 months ago. And they only occur during my friday night 15 hour shifts. Some where along the middle of my shift i start feeling short of breath, it feels like i cant get in a deep breath. It dosent seem to last too long but when i get home my chest has a non itchy rash spread along my stomach. Its red little dots in large clusters. The harder i work the worse it is and the longer it lasts. Tops it lasts a day or just through the night.

please help me
 Marceline F, RN - Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:49 am

User avatar Dear HelpMe2334,
You did not mention what kind of job you do, and I am also curious as to the type of environment you work in. It is possible that these symptoms may be linked to your new job. There have been cases of either inhalation exposure or topical exposure to an allergen/toxin that can cause both the symptoms you are referring to. Sometimes businesses do their whole site cleaning at night time - including floor stripping/polishing, carpet cleaning etc. You may have allergies to some of the cleaning solutions being used. Again, I do not know what kind of work you do. Is it possible that you are working with groups of chemicals or substances in your job that you may be allergic to? The fact that these symptoms seem to dissipate on their own without intervention, just by you being away from the site lends also to suspicion that you may have some kind of exposure on the job. You have the right under OSHA to have access to the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) for all the substances found in your environment that you have potential for exposure to. Please ask your supervisor where these are kept and what substances you may be exposed to on your shifts. Then if these symptoms persist, see your doctor, if a plant/facility employee health care clinic is not available.

|