News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: chlamydia treatment

david55 - Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:26 pm

I am a 22 year old male. I recently had unprotected sex with someone who I believe has chlamydia. The day after, I had some cephalexin around so for the first few days I took 100mg four times a day. I read that probably wouldn't help, but I did that before I read about it... I then got some doxycycline but only 100mg twice a day for three days instead of the perscribed seven because I left the pills at a hotel by accident.

Should I be worried about the chlamydia and get tested or do you think it should be gone? Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:46 pm

User avatar If you may have been infected with chlamydia you have not yet been adequately treated. Treatment options include doxycycline for 7 days or one dose of azithromycin (a large dose).

Also, chlamydia generally occurs with gonorrhea. There is a single dose treatment for this as well. I would recommend you be tested for STD's. This way you do not need to take medication that is not necessary but can be appropriately treated if you are infected.

There are often anonymous STD clinics that can test and treat you if you prefer.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here